Fatebenefratelli hospitality house
The Fathers bought the House in the years following the World War in 1948, with the aim to have a facility for religious people living in the Lombardy- Veneto province, in a place of vacation, rest and recovery.
During the first years, it was used for private use, hoping to turn it into a health and convalescent facility for lung or respiratory diseases, or problems linked to post-surgical recovery.
The then Superiors made some requests to the Municipality of Varazze in order to get the relevant authorizations and permissions, but in vain.
Our presence in the accommodation/hotel field offers the possibility to combine the desire of rest, the search for peace, the remedy for minor illnesses and the spiritual treatment.
If we want to effectively bring a slogan that identifies us, we could say that we offer a thorough hospitality. “Hospitality is our core value that is expressed and implemented in the four guiding principles of quality, respect, responsibility and spirituality”.
La Nostra storia, le nostre radici.
In the well-furnished palace, the Captain had a full collection of arms and costumes, resulting from his travels and research around the world…….” .
Thus, the first one who was fascinated by the charm of the Piani d’invrea was Captain D’Albertis, a descendant of a prestigious noble Genoese family. He was a condottiere, researcher and sailer. At the end of 1800, he built this residence surrounded by exotic plants and pine trees overlooking the sea. For several years, it hosted the illustrious painter and engraver Giuseppe Frascheri ( 1809-1886 ) to “….study the secret harmonies of pines, wonderful trees! Each of them has a different soul. The vision of this lovely mother nature, sea and earth, arouses diverse thoughts …..”. 
Later, the estate was owned by Cattaneo Family that kept its splendor and beauty until the war period.
The Fatebenefratelli wanted to meet the needs of a house where religious people could rest for a few days, for treatment or spiritual exercises. So, on April 9, 1947, the Provincial Zaccaria Castelletti stated that, after visiting many places in the Ligurian and Adriatic Riviera, the most suitable choice would be to buy the estate owned by Marquis Cattaneo in Varezze, 40 km away from Genoa, having an area of over 39.000 square metres, composed of a villa equipped with 30 rooms, some of them very large and in good conditions, and a large park, partly wooded and partly with pine forests. The purchase was possible thanks to the sale of plots of land in the Cernusco sul Naviglio House. Of course, they made some modifications and additions and built a little church, named after Our Lady of the Guard, consecrated in 1948 by the Bishop of Savona Mons. G.B. Parodi, later turned in a Parish.
” We have to point out that the presence of Fatebenefratelli in Liguria dates back to 1874 , when Sanremo authorities called the San Giovanni di Dio Brothers to give assistance to sick people. A few years later, in 1877, they founded a House of Health named after ” San Giovanni di Dio “. We do not have certain information on their leaving from the Ligurian Riviera. ”
” Another sign in the century-old history of the hospital order, which links him to the Liguria region, is Domenico Benedetto Piola . He was born in 1492 in Genoa. He dealt with commerce and he was interested in the handicrafts made in Spain, so he moved to Granada. There, he met a poor brother called Giovanni , who looked for economic aid. The meeting was dazzling: since the day of the loan, Domenico Piola began to meet Giovanni di Dio constantly. He was left widower and after paying his collaborators and creditors, he gave everything to this new companion of him for the achievement of his goals. He was one of the first friends and companion of San Giovanni di Dio. His body was buried in the Church of Granada Hospital. “
. Taken from “La Liguria Illustrata”, Year I number 8, Genoa 1913, article by R.Lombardo
. Part of historical reconstruction by Brother Serafino Acernozzi.